What it is
An overhead move (or just “overhead”) is a move of any sort with an overhead hitbox.
The term often refers particularly to such a move with quick-ish startup such that it’s useful in mixup. However, it may just be a decent consideration for a meaty.
Some series have a “universal overhead” attack; it will be there for all (maybe most?) of the characters via the same command:
- Fui Uchi (“sudden strike” from the Samurai Shodown series)
- Leap Attack (Street Fighter III)
- Uchiage Giri (“blast-off slash”, from the Last Blade games)
- Gedan Nuke Kōgeki (“low-level-escaping attack” from Mark of the Wolves)
- Dust Attack (Guilty Gear series)